Thursday 2 January 2014

Donnie Darko (5 Stars)


It's been a few days since I watched this. I delayed my post because I wanted to think of something new to write about it. I couldn't think of anything to add to my detailed review that I wrote in 2012. But then I looked at the picture above with the question that Frank asks Donnie in the cinema while watching the Halloween double bill, "Evil Dead" and "The Last Temptation of Christ". It isn't a random question. Why was Donnie wearing a stupid man suit? Why was he living a normal life like all the others around him, as if he were one of them? He had a destiny to fulfil. Donnie was at the centre of the tangent universe and was the only one who could save the world, or rather save the universe. Donnie had killed Frank, but Frank bore him no ill will. Frank travelled back in time to assist Donnie in his mission.

"Wake up".

That was Frank's first call to Donnie. By the time he was in the cinema things had progressed. Donnie was awake, Gretchen was sleeping.

It's amazing how deep "Donnie Darko" is as a film. There are so many subtleties below the surface that only become apparent after repeated watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.