Saturday 16 September 2017

It came from the desert (4½ Stars)


This is the 44th film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

This is an amazing film made by the Finnish director Marko Mäkilaakso. Two teenage boys, Lukas and Brian, want to go to a party in the desert which will be attended by their favourite actor, the star of the Eradicator movies. Lukas knows that Brian has a crush on Lisa, so he invites her as long as well.

The teenagers discover giant ants trapped in an abandoned government facility, and they accidentally release them. A battle to the death between teenagers and ants ensues.

This is a wonderful film, a perfect mix of humour and action, with a touch of horror.



Addendum on Thursday, 21st September, 2017

There have been a lot of hits on this post over the last 24 hours, mostly from readers in Finland, enough to push it into my top 10 of the most popular posts of the month. I feel almost ashamed that so many people are reading one of my shortest and least informative posts. While I was at the Fantasy Film Festival last week I set myself a ten minute time limit for writing each post. This was necessary for health reasons. I was away from home for up to 12 hours a day (including travel time), and I needed to sleep when I got home.

Theoretically, I could add something to my review now. I remember "It came from the desert" well, since it was one of my favourite films of the festival. But I prefer to save my thoughts until I watch it again on Blu-ray. For me this is a Must-Buy film. It's the best teenagers-versus-giant-ants film I've ever seen.

A word to my Finnish readers, who are possibly reading my blog for the first time: I hope you'll become regular readers. My blog is about films in general, not just horror, so you'll find the most diverse reviews. I appreciate comments on my reviews, but don't get them often enough. Please leave comments not just on this post, but on whatever I write.

4 comments:

  1. Is this based on the Amiga video game of the same name? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. The film even contains game footage that runs during the final credits.

      Delete
    2. Ha! That's cool... I vaguely recall playing it!

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, though. The picture quality is superior, so you won't see any pixellated ants :)

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.