Saturday 29 September 2018

Prospect (2 Stars)


This is the 19th film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

I'm not sure what happened here. I walked out of the cinema feeling disappointed, while my fellow members of the Stuttgart film group all told me that they enjoyed the film a lot. Did they see something that I missed?

The story is about a father (Damon) and daughter (Cee) who fly to a remote planet and back to salvage rare metals from a distant planet. Their space ship isn't in good working order, and it's due to be their last trip. Unfortunately they don't get very far and crash land on one of the planet's moons. Cee is in a hurry to get back home, possibly by hitching a lift from other miners, but Damon is taking it easy. He knows the location of a supply of valuable stones called Aurelacs which develop inside the stomachs of large worm-like creatures. He's determined to return home a rich man.

It's not so easy. All the miners are greedy and self-centred, so deals are broken and fights ensue.

Although set in space, this is a typical western adventure. It reminds me of the gold rush of the 19th Century. The space ships all look like they've been pieced together from scrap metal. It all looks very retro in its imagery. Most of the story takes place in a forest, which is an unusual setting for a science fiction story.

Two stars is the best I can give this film. It was far too slow to excite me. I was bored within the first hour. Maybe my readers will enjoy the film more than me. If you enjoy it, please leave your opinion in the comments box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.