Sunday 18 July 2021

I know what you did last summer (5 Stars)



I've never claimed to be a serious film reviewer. What I mean is, I haven't studied films at university, so I don't know the rules a film has to follow to be a good film. My ratings are purely subjective. I'm not even consistent. I might like a film today, then change my mind when I watch it again next month. Or the other way round.

"I know what you did last summer" – that's the last time I'll write the full title in this review – is a film that most film critics dislike. Why? Doesn't it fulfil the conditions to be accepted as a good film? All I can say is that they're wrong. There are some films where I'm tolerant and say "It's a matter of opinion whether you like or dislike this film". This isn't one of them. The film is so thrilling and genuinely scary that everyone should enjoy it, or at least recognise that it's a well made film. There are people who say that they don't like horror films, so they wouldn't even give this film a chance. They should. It's not a film that relies on blood and gore. It's full of suspense and terror.

"I know what you did last summer" – okay, I lied! – is often mentioned in the same breath as "Scream", which was made a year earlier. That's understandable. They're both teen slasher films with a (seemingly) invincible serial killer. They both feature attractive teenagers, male and female. You'd think they're set in an alternative universe, because there's not one unattractive teenager in sight. Nobody is spotty or overweight. The big difference between the two is that "Scream" has comedy elements, whereas this film doesn't. Maybe you prefer "Scream". I don't, but I still think they're both excellent films.


This film features two of the most beautiful teenage actresses of the 1990's: Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar. Which is the most attractive of the two? I prefer Jennifer Love Hewitt, but it's Sarah Michelle Gellar who wins the beauty contest. Incidentally, did you know that I once entered a beauty contest? Seriously! When I was nine months old I won second place in a beauty contest for babies. My mother was very disappointed that I didn't win first place.


It's all in the makeup. Sarah Michelle Gellar uses makeup to make herself look glamorous. Jennifer Love Hewitt doesn't use makeup, so she looks plain, at first sight. I emphasise "at first sight". If you look closely, you can see her outstanding beauty.


Another tactic to emphasise Jennifer's plainness is that she wears the same clothes in scenes that take place on different days. I'm still not fooled. She's gorgeous!

I'm rapidly moving up my best films chart. I'll soon be in the top 10. I hope my readers are following my list and will let me know what they think.

Success Rate:  + 5.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.