Thursday 18 January 2024

The Full Monty (5 Stars)


Didn't I watch "The Full Monty" two days ago? Yes, but I returned to it today on an impulse. When I watch a film that I don't like, I feel unclean. Maybe that's not the right word, but it's the way I felt after watching "Poor Things" today. If I'd come home late I would just have gone to bed with a glass of wine. Since it was early, i deemed it better to watch a good film to clean my mind. Something to cheer me up. And what better film than "The Full Monty", which was still lying on the desk next to my Blu-ray player?


It's too late for me to write much, so I'll just say a few words about the final scene. 200 women were gathered as extras. Money was saved by using women already involved in the film as crew members, plus the wives and friends of male crew members.


Not everyone in the audience is an unpaid extra. There are a few women that we've seen earlier in the film. One of them is Beryl, played by the beautiful Fiona Watts. She's shown in several camera shots.


When the strippers throw their belts into the audience, Fiona catches one of them. That's a souvenir she'll keep for the rest of her life. It'll remind her of her only film role.

I only found out yesterday that a Full Monty television series was made last year, featuring the same cast. It's only received lukewarm reviews. The general consensus is that it doesn't live up to the film. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see what the men look like 25 years later. It's on Disney Plus, so I'll probably check it out next week. One episode at least.

Success Rate:  + 71.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.