Monday 1 January 2024

Wine: Eberbach-Schäfer Heisser Eber Glühwein

I saw in the New Year with a glass of Heisser Eber Glühwein in my hand. Before you run to Google Translate, I'll tell you what that means. It's "hot boar mulled wine". It's not apparent in the photo, but that's a wild boar on the label.

Mulled wine is commonly drunk at Christmas, especially in Germany. It's red wine with added spices, gently heated. Home made mulled wine often has orange and lemon peel floating in it, but it's only for the flavour. Don't swallow it! The mulled wine sold at Christmas markets usually has added sugar.

In most cases a cheap wine is used for making mulled wine. This is why I was surprised to see a mulled wine from a high quality vineyard like Eberbach-Schäfer. I wasn't sure whether After some hesitation I took a risk and bought a bottle.

I needn't have worried. The wine was delicious. I drank the whole bottle before I went to bed. Wine critics agree that it's outstanding:

"Thanks to the high quality base wine, Eberbach-Schäfer's mulled wine is a wonderful example of premium mulled wine. The strong wine taste combined with the fine spices make the “hot boar” a perfect companion for cold days. Frieder Schäfer strictly followed his grandmother's recipe when seasoning the not-too-sweet mulled wine. Just warm the mulled wine, don't overheat it, in order to retain the flavour".

I wonder if there will be any bottles left in the shop tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all my friends and readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.