Saturday 3 February 2024

Hundreds Of Beavers (4 Stars)


This is the second film in the Stuttgart White Nights Festival.

I'm not going to see all the films in this year's two-day White Nights Festival. Maybe it was a mistake that I skipped the opening film, because I would have heard the introductory speeches about the festival. But what's done is done. As the French say, "Les carottes sont cuites".

So "Hundreds of Beavers" is the first film I've seen at the festival this year. It's an unusual film. It's a silent film in black and white. Forgive me for thinking I've been transported back in time a hundred years. It's a comedy about a fur trapper hunting beavers. The tables are turned and he becomes the one hunted. After all, he's only one man against hundreds of beavers. There's a plot strung thinly through the film about the trapper trying to win the love of a woman who works at a supply store, but the film is mostly slapstick comedy about the mishaps of a hunter. I made the mistake of trying to make sense out of the film. It's just a ridiculous comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.