Tuesday 26 March 2019

The Last Circus (5 Stars)


"Why are you a clown?" – "If I weren't a clown I'd be a murderer".

Watching this film today reminded me of one of my broken promises. I've long promised to do a countdown of my top 50 films. I can excuse myself by saying that I still intend to keep the promise, but it's something I first promised in 2016 and there must be an expiration date for promises, after which they count as broken. At the moment I can say for definite that I shan't fulfil the promise this year. It's more important for me that I work my way through my enormous to-watch list. If I don't add anything else to the list I should be able to watch my whole list by the end of the year.

In my preliminary list that I compiled last year, "The Last Circus" is in 16th place. It really should be higher. Before I start my countdown, whenever that is, I'll make adjustments to my list.


In English speaking countries the film is called "The Last Circus", but its original Spanish title is "Balada Triste de Trompeta", engl. "Sad Ballad of the Trumpet" or "Sad Trumpet Ballad". Usually I moan when a film's title isn't translated literally, but in this case I think that ""The Last Circus" is appropriate. An American would be confused by a film called "Sad Ballad of the Trumpet" and wouldn't be able to guess what it's about. In Spain it's different. It's the title of a very well known song by the Spanish pop singer Raphael, and it would immediately be associated with a sad clown.

Despite its relatively short length, only 105 minutes, the film has all the characteristics of an epic. It tells a story on a grand scale that runs from 1937 to 1973. It ties in with true events, and it's set in the middle of well known Spanish landmarks. Whenever we think we know what will happen next the rug is pulled from under our feet and the plot veers somewhere else.

This is an incredible film that everyone should watch. There are some disturbing scenes, such as the violence against women, but it's relevant to the plot. Even if you're not familiar with Spanish history you should enjoy the film.

Click here for more details of the film's plot.

Success Rate:  + 1.1

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.