Sunday 3 March 2019

The Truman Show (5 Stars)


I absolutely love "The Truman Show". It's difficult for me to understand why I didn't include it in my list of "30 films to watch before you die". That's the only mistake I made when compiling my list. It's not just a matter of it being a film I enjoy. It's also an important film. When it was released in 1998 there was a two-page article in Newsweek magazine that called it the most important film of the decade. I didn't go to see it in the cinema, but a year later I saw it on television, and it blew me away. It became the film I've watched more often than any other film in my life. I recorded it on video tape, and for months I was watching it two or three times a week. Something about the film touched me in a way that no other film has ever affected me. I've only watched the film three times since I started my blog in 2010, but that's not because I like it any less. It's because I've binged on it so much that I can't take anything else from it.

Or maybe I can. Something new occurred to me today. As great as the film is, it's not a film that would appeal to modern viewers who see it for the first time. The absence of the Internet is essential to the film. The whole premise of a person being unknowingly the star of a global reality show wouldn't be possible in a world with smart phones. I can still enjoy the film because I lived most of my life in a world without the Internet, but what would a 25-year-old think of "The Truman Show" if he watched it today? Let that be a challenge to my readers. If you're 25 or younger, how do you react to the film?

Success Rate:  + 2.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.