Tuesday 28 January 2020

1917 (5 Stars)


I don't often watch war films. War is a topic that doesn't interest me. On the contrary, it repulses me. I go to the cinema to immerse myself in fantasy worlds. War is something that's too realistic, something that took place in western Europe in the 20th Century and still happens in other parts of the world today. I only make an exception and watch war films if they're made by one of my favourite directors. Films like "Inglourious Basterds". Maybe that's not a real war film, because it tells a fantasy story in the context of a real war.

Normally I would have given "1917" a miss. I decided to see it in the cinema today for two reasons:

1. It's been nominated for the Best Film at the 2020 Academy Awards, and I've been told it has a good chance of winning.

2. I've read that the film has outstanding cinematography.

So I went to the cinema, I watched the film, and I enjoyed it greatly. You already know that from the title of this post. My rating says everything.

The film takes place in France in 1917. I've heard differing claims on whether the story is true, fictional or partially true. It doesn't really matter. Two young soldiers are told to deliver a message to the Devonshire Regiment. The Germans have withdrawn, and the regiment is planning to press their advantage and pursue them. Army intelligence has been received that it's a trap; the Germans have withdrawn to lure the British army into an ambush. If the Devonshire Regiment attacks it's expected that all 1600 men will be slaughtered.

The film is shot in a pseudo-single take, i.e. not a genuine single take like "Victoria", but a film like "Birdman" with a minimal number of long takes that have been carefully edited to give the appearance of a single take. I expect that the director's commentary on the Blu-ray release will tell us exactly how many takes were necessary.

The film shows the two young men running across deserted wastelands, encountering German stragglers and scattered British soldiers. It's a delight to watch. Whether or not "1917" wins the Best Film award, it definitely deserves to win the award for Best Cinematography. Most of all, I enjoyed the passive scenes where the young soldiers were running. The fight scenes were exciting, but less pleasant to me. Slightly less pleasant. I've still given the film my top rating.

The film is successful and will probably remain in the cinema for another few weeks. Please go to see it, even if you're someone like me who doesn't like war films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.