Wednesday 1 January 2020

Cats (3 Stars)


This is my first film of 2020, which automatically makes it the best film of the year so far. Or the worst film. It depends on how you look at it. Three years ago I began to keep a running list of my top 10 films of the year, so I wouldn't have to panic when the last week of the year arrived. That also means that as soon as I've watched my first 10 films of the year – an easy feat for January – I'll already have a top 10 list ready to publish if the worst happens and I'm bedridden for the rest of the year.

The film follows the adventures of Victoria, a cat who's abandoned on the streets of London near Trafalgar Square. She's a kind-hearted innocent cat who only wants to be loved. She comes into contact with the Jellicle tribe of cats, who follow a matriarch called Old Deuteronomy. Once a year she picks one member of the tribe to ascend into a new life. Wow! That's an extravagant clash of fairy tales and religious symbolism.

It's a magical version of London, recognisable but somehow mystical. The whole story takes place in one night.

Having said that, this is a film which has several outstanding features, but also several poor qualities, giving it an overall average rating. On the plus side, the dancing is excellent, especially the tap dancing scenes. It was the right decision to pick a ballet dancer, Francesca Hayward, for the lead role instead of an actress. That was the mistake made in the unjustly praised musical "La La Land".

On the minus side, the character of the film's villain, Macavity, is totally bland. I don't blame Idris Elba, because I consider him one of the best actors alive today. I blame his lack of characterisation in the film's script. We hardly see him, and we're given no chance to sympathise with him. Is it possible that his role was shortened in the film? I can't imagine that the musical itself could have been written so poorly.

Most of the songs were enjoyable, but I was somehow disappointed with Jennifer Hudson. I've liked her as a singer ever since I saw her in "Dreamgirls", but in "Cats" she doesn't unleash her full potential.

One problem that I have personally is the portrayal of the tomcats. Watching the female cats walking in a slinky, feline manner was almost arousing, but seeing the males walk in the same feminine way was distasteful. I'm too heterosexual to enjoy something like that.

For the last few weeks I've been reading bad reviews about the film, but I still had to see it. I like musicals, and I like Rebel Wilson (who plays a medium-sized role). If I hadn't gone to see it I would have been left burning with curiosity. I wouldn't call it a bad film, but I don't want to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.