Wednesday 22 February 2023

Shazam (5 Stars)



Tonight I shouted "Shazam!" five times, but nothing happened. I didn't turn into a superhero. Then I remembered that it only works for someone who's pure of heart. Okay, I wouldn't call myself a bad guy, but the last time I checked Lust is one of the seven deadly sins, and Lust is one of the things that most motivates me. So no, I can't become a superhero.

Let's get to the film itself.

When I watched "Shazam" in the cinema four years ago I liked it, but I wasn't overly impressed. Recently I've seen the trailer for the second Shazam film in cinemas, and I find it hilarious. I don't remember that a trailer has ever made me laugh out loud. This has prompted me to watch the first film again, and guess what? I love it! The humour is so ridiculous, but it works.

Billy Batson is a 14-year-old boy who's granted magical super powers by an ancient magician. Billy isn't perfect either, but the magician is desperate to find a successor after being attacked by Thaddeus Silvana, an evil scientist who wants the power for himself.

Billy looks like an adult when he magically transforms into a hero, even though he still has the awkwardness of a teenager in the middle of his hormonal changes. Come to think of it, Billy visits a strip club twice in the film, so maybe there's still a chance for me. Let me shout "Shazam!" again.

As a new hero, Billy isn't in full control of his powers. He doesn't even know what his powers are. He has to work his way through a checklist of what he can and can't do.

Super strength – Yes.
Super speed – Yes.
Invulnerability – Yes.
Flight – Yes, although it needs practise.
Invisibility – No.


Probably the biggest surprise in the film is that the five children in his foster family also become superheroes.


They all turn into adults, so it's difficult to tell which one is which. The girls are obvious, but I can't recognise the boys. Unlike Billy, they immediately have full control of their powers, but he's still the team's leader.

Success Rate:  + 2.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.