Wednesday 1 February 2023

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (3 Stars)


My personal definition of a good film is that it's a film that I want to watch at least three times. Please don't misquote me. I didn't say that it's a film that I've watched three times, it's a film that I want to watch three times. There are many films that I like a lot, but I haven't had time to watch them more than once. There are also films that I've watched three times, but if I saw the film today for the first time I wouldn't want to watch it another twice. "Into the Spider-Verse" is such a film. I rated it four stars when I watched it in the past, but after watching it today I dropped my rating to three stars.

I was being generous. I'm biased in favour of Marvel films. When I go to the cinema to see a Marvel film I want to like it. After watching "Into the Spider-Verse" twice already, I'm finally able to watch it with an open mind. It's not a good film. It's too silly. The whole way that Marvel handles the multiverse in its films is nonsensical. Added to that, the film has scenes that hurt my eyes. Either the colours are too bright, or the picture is blurred.


Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Spider-Man is Peter Parker.


I'm not so fussy about villains. I don't mind Olivia Octavius taking the place of Otto Octavius as Doctor Octopus.


But I don't want to see Peni Parker ever again. Or is her name Penny Parker? Or Peeny Parker?

I've been told that this is the first film in a trilogy. I hope the sequels are better.

Success Rate:  + 2.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.