It's OK. That's probably the best way I can describe it. I enjoyed watching
it, but when the final credits rolled I felt that something was missing.
For a start, there aren't enough teenagers. That might sound like a strange
criticism, but this is supposed to be a teenage slasher
movie. The teenagers have always been an important part of the formula, and
there simply aren't enough of them here. There are too many adults and not
enough of the young characters who made the earlier films so much fun.
On the positive side, Sidney Prescott and Gale Weathers are still a great
combination. The chemistry between them works. It always has. Put Sidney and
Gale together and there's an instant familiarity that reminds you why these
characters have survived through so many films.
Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same way about Sidney's husband Mark. He
irritated me almost from the moment he appeared. He has no charisma, adds very
little to the story and, frankly, I wasn't sorry when Ghostface killed him.
In fact, I breathed a sigh of relief.
Then it was revealed that he'd survived.
"Oh no!" I thought. "That means he'll be back in the next film".
And then there's Ghostface. Or, more accurately, Ghostfaces.
Yes, there are three killers again. I don't actually have a problem with that.
Scream has done multiple killers before and it can work very well. The problem
here is the motivation.
Karl Gibbs is basically random. He's talked into becoming a killer by Marco
Davis, who's the real brains behind the operation. And Marco, in turn, has
been talked into it by Sidney's jealous neighbour, Jessica Bowden.
That's quite a chain of events just to get to a group of people wearing
Ghostface masks.
The trouble is that none of their motivations are particularly convincing.
When the killers are finally revealed, you're supposed to have that wonderful
Scream moment when everything suddenly makes sense. Instead, I was thinking
"Why?" And then, when the explanation came, I was still thinking "Why?"
That's disappointing, because the identity and motivation of Ghostface are
such an important part of the fun. The best Scream reveals make you look back
at the film and realise that the clues were there all along. Here, the
explanation feels more like the writers needed three people to be Ghostface
and then had to find a reason for each of them to be involved.
Having said all that, I didn't hate "Scream 7". Far from it. It's
entertaining, there are some good kills, and Sidney and Gale are still fun to
watch together. I just don't think it works as well as the best films in the
series.
It's OK.
But when you're watching a Scream film, "OK" isn't good enough.
Success Rate: + 2.8
![]() |
Order from Amazon.com |
| Order from Amazon.co.uk | |
| Order from Amazon.de |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.