Wednesday, 30 September 2026

28 Years Later (2 Stars)



Spike has grown up with his parents on the isolated island of Lindisfarne, where his mother is increasingly sick and partially demented. On his 12th birthday, his father takes him to the mainland to kill his first infected – a fancy new name for zombies – as a rite of passage. Spike later returns with his mother after hearing rumours that a doctor lives on the mainland who may be able to help her. 

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the film. It's very slow for most of its running time, with long stretches of people talking and relatively little happening, and I found the infected themselves rather uninteresting as opponents. I've never been a great fan of zombies because they're just ugly, empty things to be killed; I prefer villains who have a personality and motivation that gives me something to engage with. There are exceptions, such as "The Girl with All the Gifts", but "28 Years Later" has only dull, uninteresting zombies. It wasn't until the last few minutes, when Jimmy and his group appeared, that I suddenly became interested in where the story might be going. That was too late.

Success Rate:  + 0.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.