Monday 24 June 2013

Machete (5 Stars)


I'm glad that director Robert Rodriguez toned down the old film effects in this film. The only fake film scratches are at the beginning. "Planet Terror" was a good film, but he overdid the effects. I can understand him wanting to make the film look old for nostalgic effect, but if you watch the film more than once it gets boring. My advice to Robert for future grindhouse films is simple: release the DVD with both scratched and unscratched versions, and let them be selectable using the Angle option. I assume this wouldn't be too difficult, since the films are first made in pristine condition and the scratches are edited in later.

I already reviewed the film here. It's a film that grows on me more every time I watch it. My only criticism is that too much is packed into the final showdown. It's like Rodriguez had lots of ideas that he felt the need to include before it was too late, such as the nuns with guns. This could have been easily solved by adding an extra 30 minutes to the film.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about how great it'd be to have the option of watching it scratched or not. I prefer the scratched look and was disappointed when it stopped partway into the film. I dig that dirty 70s look but then I'm also nostalgic about hearing pops and scratches from LPs. Great flick. CAN...NOT...WAIT until the sequel later this year.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.