Saturday 4 July 2020

John Wick 3 (5 Stars)


I need to keep myself under control. After watching "John Wick 3" this evening, my first thought was, "Wow, that film's so great, I should watch all three John Wick films again soon". Then I reminded myself that I already have more than a hundred films on my to-watch list, so it would be irrational to add another three films and push them to the top of the queue.

Yes, the film really is so good. The action is good, but what fascinates me even more is the mix of absurdly beautiful characters in the world inhabited by John Wick and his organisation.


Laurence Fishburne is the self-proclaimed King of the Bowery (an area in the centre of Manhattan). He communicates with his followers via messenger pigeons. It's the safest means of communication, he claims, because it can't be hacked.


Saïd Taghmaoui is the man who rules over the whole of John Wick's universe, the man who is above the High Table. The film's credits call him the Elder, with a capital E, but when he's called the elder in the film I have the impression it's not his name or even his title, it's just a word to show him respect, i.e. the elder with a small E.


The film's unnamed adjudicator is a bizarre character. Her appearance borders on asexuality. She looks just the way I imagine Miss Brunner in the Jerry Cornelius novels. She doesn't belong to the High Table itself, but she has a position of seniority and is allowed to make decisions on behalf of the High Table.


Overall, this is a film of breathtaking beauty. It's difficult to imagine anyone not liking it. Maybe some people would be squeamish about the excessive violence, but once you get over that problem, there's no reason not to like it.

Success Rate:  + 2.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.