Sunday 20 December 2020

Wine: Lehrensteinsfelder Salzberg Riesling

When I lived in Germany in the 1990's this was my favourite wine. It's true that I prefer red wines, but this one wine was so excellent that I always ordered it in restaurants with a meal. It's a commonly available wine, so I could buy it almost everywhere. It was known by the nickname LSD. That's appropriate. The wine has an addictive taste.

The vineyard in Lehrensteinsfelder Salzberg actually produces a few red wines, but they're in such a small quantity that they're hardly seen outside their local area. They're only known for their Riesling. When someone orders a Lehrensteinfelder or an LSD, it's obvious he wants the Riesling.

It's been a few years since I last drank a glass of LSD, but when I tasted it today it was immediately obvious why it used to be my favourite wine. It's a dry Riesling, but it has an overpowering fruity taste. It tastes sweet without being sweet, if that makes sense. I'm already determined to buy it more often. It's a remarkable wine. Drink it with a meal or by itself, you won't be disappointed. Next time you're in Stuttgart, order an LSD. It'll make you forget your prejudices against German wines after drinking the rubbish that's exported to England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.