Saturday 18 March 2023

VFB Stuttgart Season 2022 Match 25


VfB Stuttgart – Wolfsburg

Date: 18th March 2023, 3:30 pm

Result: 0 – 1

Clunk!

Do you know what that is? It's the sound of VfB Stuttgart crashing onto to bottom of the league table. It's the moment I've been fearing for months, though I hoped it would never happen.

I had a seat in the top row of the stadium. Usually I don't like sitting so far from the action, because the players are running around like ants far below me. I can't see their faces, and I can barely make out their shirt numbers. Today it was an advantage for me, because the global overview showed me what was going wrong. Stuttgart was playing strongly on the left and right wings, but when they went into the attack they had nobody in the centre to take the ball. One of the side players had to run into the centre to take a shot, and by the time he arrived it was too late.

The first half was depressing. VfB Stuttgart had no energy. They gave away corner after corner. I'm surprised that Wolfsburg didn't score. In the second half Stuttgart played more aggressively, but they couldn't put an attack together. When Wolfsburg finally scored, the ball was merely dribbled into Stuttgart's goal. It didn't look like a shot. From my high vantage position I rubbed my eyes. "Is that it?"

After the match I was sitting in the Bier & Brezel pub chatting with two Stuttgart fans. One of them summed the game up: "Wolfsburg played badly, but Stuttgart was worse". I couldn't have put it better myself. The way Stuttgart was playing, a good opponent should have hammered five balls into the goal.

In an interview after the match the Stuttgart trainer, Bruno Labbadia, said "I don't have to worry about my job". The very fact that he has to make this statement shows how worried he should be. He was hired when Stuttgart was doing badly. Since his arrival the team has been playing worse.


I've promised my friends that I'll buy a Stuttgart shirt if the team finishes in the top eight places. They laughed and said it won't happen. Maybe next season. Or maybe not.

1. Dortmund 53
2. Bayern München 52
3. RB Leipzig 45
4. Union Berlin 45
5. SC Freiburg 45
6. Eintracht Frankfurt 40
7. Wolfsburg 38
8. Mainz 36
9. Leverkusen 34
10. Mönchengladbach 31
11. Werder Bremen 31
12. Augsburg 28
13. Köln 27
14. VfL Bochum 25
15. Hoffenheim 22
16. Hertha 21
17. Schalke 04 21
18. VfB Stuttgart 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.