Monday 9 September 2013

Any Day Now (4½ Stars)


Usually I only go to the cinema if I think a film is "worth the big screen". What I mean is, the film has to have great special effects or breath-taking action sequences, something that doesn't look as good on my 42 inch television at home. I made an exception today. After reading reviews about the independent film "Any Day Now" I was so fascinated that I decided to walk into the cinema and lay my money down. Cinema visits are always especially expensive for me, because I need to pay an extra £3.90 (more than $6) for the bus fare to the cinema.

So do I regret it? No way!

The film takes place in California in 1979. It's the true story of a gay couple (two men) who wanted to adopt a 14-year-old boy with Downs Syndrome. The film highlights the prejudice of the 1970's justice system, but would things be any different today? Maybe they would, but I have very little faith in the American courts. What is the most important issue in cases like this? Upholding moral standards or the welfare of a child?

The film is very sentimental, so if you go to see it remember to take tissues. The two lead characters are outstanding. Somehow I've never noticed Alan Cumming before, even though he stars in a few films I've seen. I know Garret Dillahunt from his role as a Terminator in the "Sarah Connor Chronicles". The film was shown in American cinemas 18 months ago and is already available on DVD. I suppose I should be glad that it made its way to England at all.

Click here to watch the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.