Thursday 12 September 2013

Now You See Me [Guest Writer] (5 Stars)


Come in close, closer. Because the more you think you see the easier it will be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking but what you’re really doing is filtering, interrupting, searching for meaning. My job is to take that most precious of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you. Come in close. Closer, because the closer you look the less you see!

This is how the movie opens. These words will become a theme throughout the movie and will continue to run through your mind long after the movie is over.

When I saw the trailer for this movie I thought it would be one I would enjoy because of Woody Harrelson and Morgan Freeman. I quickly found out that the entire cast made this movie worth watching. Jesse Eisenberg and Isla Fisher's characters are stand outs in the movie. I had just watched 21 Jump Street a few days before without even realizing that Dave Franco was in both movies. This young man is the younger brother of James Franco and he is a delight to watch on screen. In my opinion he stole the movie in 21 Jump Street and while in Now You See Me surrounded by seasoned actors such as Sir Michael Caine, Mark Ruffalo and the other 3 actors portraying the illusionists known as the Four Horsemen he stands out in his role. I look forward to watching his career in the upcoming years.

The plot of this movie is simple. An unknown person brings these four illusionists together to perform as the Four Horsemen of Magic. In their act they pull off bank heists and reward their audiences with the money. Watching the movie we get to not only be amazed by the illusions they perform, but by the investigation going on trying to prove they are criminals. I thought twice during the movie I had figured out who had brought them together and who was behind everything. It was almost the end of the movie and I had looked close at everything that had happened in the movie and in my mind this time I knew who was behind the entire plot. I had made a mistake they warned me about in the beginning of the movie, the closer I looked the less I was seeing. It was not until the person behind everything was revealed at the very end did I realize this.

I have talked about this movie non-stop since watching it and recommended it to everyone that will listen. It is a movie that will appeal to children, teenagers, adults and grandparents. I mean who does not love magic!! Just remember while watching not to look too closely.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, welcome to my new guest writer Dakota. I'm glad you wrote such a passionate review for your first post. I hope it will be the first of many.

    It's interesting that you picked this film. Judging by the reviews I've read it divides people. Some people love it, some people find it average, but almost nobody thinks it's a bad film. I've read reviews comparing it with "The Prestige", usually unfavorably. From what I've read about the plot of "Now you see me" they're two very different films, connected only by the fact that they both involve magic tricks.

    Your praise for the film, Dakota, has intrigued me. You've convinced me that I need to see it. Probably not immediately, some time later this year, but it's definitely on my list now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.