Tuesday 18 June 2019

Men In Black 3 (5 Stars)


This is only the second time I've watched this film. The first time was six years ago, and after reading my old review I'm puzzled. I don't understand why I wrote some of the things I did. I felt tempted to delete my old review, or at least change it, but I don't do that. I only edit old reviews if I find spelling or grammatical mistakes, and I never ever delete old reviews. The only thing I can do is write new reviews in which I put things right.

To be honest, I'd totally forgotten the film. I had no idea what happened, and when I watched it today I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. I didn't write anything about the plot in my first review, so there was nothing I wrote to remind me. That's nothing unusual in itself. I often don't describe the plot, especially if it's a film I see in the cinema. It depends on my mood. Today I'm in the mood to write about the plot, at least briefly.


After being deneuralysed in the second film, Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) has decided to remain an active member of the Men In Black. It's better than working in a post office. Once more his past catches up with him. An alien called Boris the Animal escapes from a high security prison on the Moon. He returns to Earth to get revenge on Agent K for shooting off his arm 40 years ago. More than that, he wants his arm back. To do this he travels back in time to 16th July 1969, the day when K stopped him. This changes time, and when Agent J (Will Smith) wakes up the next day he finds out that K died 40 years ago.

The fact that J can remember K when nobody else can makes the new head of the Men In Black, Agent O, suspect that time has been altered, so she sends J back to 15th July 1969, a day earlier, to prepare K for Boris returning.

The younger Agent K is played by Josh Brolin. So 40 years is all it took to morph him into Tommy Lee Jones. Amazing!


The film is full of temporal paradoxes which are dealt with in a humorous manner, and yet it all makes sense. I like films with mind-bending temporal paradoxes, which makes it all the stranger that I forgot what happened.

"Men In Black 3" was the least successful film in the series, but it's arguably the best film. Apart from the time travelling, there are also emotional scenes which are more moving than anything in the previous two films.

Now I can hardly wait to see "Men In Black: International" in the cinema next week.

Success Rate:  + 0.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.