Thursday 13 June 2019

Venom (5 Stars)


In this film we're kept in suspense. We don't see Stan Lee's cameo until close to the end. In the 11-second scene he's walking his dog in San Francisco. Whether he's supposed to be playing himself or someone else is uncertain, but whoever he is he's knowledgeable. The few words he speaks to Eddie Brock show that he knows he's carrying a symbiote inside him.

The question can be asked whether we can have Venom without Spider-Man. The much criticised "Spider-Man 3" is a more accurate portrayal of both Venom and Eddie Brock. I miss Spider-Man in this film. He should have had at least a brief appearance. Maybe the next film will make up for it.


When watching the film on Blu-ray today I was aware of a B-Movie feeling that I didn't notice in the cinema last year. For a moment I felt inclined to lower the rating, but then I reminded myself that I love B-Movies.


The symbiote jumps from person to person, including Eddie Brock's ex-fiancee Anne. It makes her look sexy. Very, very sexy.


Tom Hardy is one of my favourite actors. In my eyes he can't do anything wrong. He gives an almost psychotic depth to the character. I hope he'll be allowed to play the character again. Nothing speaks against it. The film was a big box office success, which is enough to green-light a sequel.

Success Rate:  + 6.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.