Monday 3 June 2019

Loving Vincent (5 Stars)


I've written two reviews of this film without saying anything about it, so why should I do any different now?

In my first review I said that the Blu-ray disc should include a music only track. That hasn't happened, so today I improvised. I watched the film silently while playing "Gem" by Klaus Schulze. This is a bonus track on "Audentity", which was originally intended to be the soundtrack to the Australian horror film "Next of Kin". Unfortunately, it wasn't used, and the director pieced together tracks from other Klaus Schulze albums. I can recommend it as a soundtrack for "Loving Vincent".

"Gem" isn't quite long enough for the whole film. "Loving Vincent" is 84 minutes long, excluding the credits, and "Gem" is only 58 minutes long, so I had to restart it after an hour. Maybe I'll edit my own soundtrack for next time I watch it, playing the last 42 minutes of "Gem" twice. That would be suitable.







The film takes place in two sequences. The present day is one year after Vincent's death, while there are frequent non-chronological flashbacks to Vincent's life. The present is shown in colour, while the flashbacks are in black and white. Was this the right way round? Maybe we should see the colours during Vincent's life, because he saw a world that nobody else could see.

Success Rate:  + 5.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.