Saturday 17 April 2021

Wine: Rolf Willy Samtrot Spätlese

I actually drank a whole bottle of this wine before I was ready to write about it. I'm on my second bottle now. I picked up the first bottle at random from a supermarket because I wanted to try something new. The labels written in an amusing font attracted my attention, and the supermarket Edeka in Kallenberg had a large selection of their wines, so why not? I could have picked up one of their cheaper wines, but this Spätlese had a ruby red colour that appealed to me.

I could easily have been disappointed. Picking a wine based on its colour and its label is no way for a serious wine drinker to select a wine. In fact, it's the proof that I'm not a serious wine drinker.

Wow! There was no disappointment at all. The wine hit my taste buds immediately with a silky red sweetness, and there was a bitter sting in the tail. The aftertaste is much dryer than the initial impression. I don't usually like sweet wines, but this is a wine that's both sweet and unsweet at the same time. I don't know how to describe it correctly. It's simply delicious. It's the first wine I've tasted that I feel I could get addicted to. One glass isn't enough. One bottle isn't enough.

This is a wine that I'd like to share with my friends. Are there any volunteers? I mean friends who live close to me. I want to pour you a glass, then watch the look on your face as you take your first sip. I hope you'll be as overwhelmed as I was.

The Rolf Willy vineyard is based in Nordheim in the north of Württemberg. It's named after the previous owner who has now retired and has passed the vineyard on to his three sons. They have an area of 2.2 square kilometers, a relatively large area, which is reflected in the large variety of wines they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.