Monday 5 April 2021

Scream 2 (5 Stars)



"Scream 2" was  made in 1997, only a year after "Scream". Was a sequel even possible? The serial killer died at the end of the first film. That's become the style of the Scream franchise. In every film the killer dies, and in the next film another person puts on the Ghostface mask and continues his work. This is usually considered copycat killing, but in the case of the Scream films it's more. The new killers aren't just imitating the ones who went before, they're becoming the killer.


In "Scream 2" the metafilm aspect begins. A film called "Stab" is being shown. It's based on a book written about the events in "Scream". Excerpts of "Stab" are shown in the cinema which repeat the dialogue from "Scream" with new actors. This is a very intelligent story, and it's part of what makes "Scream 2" such a good film.

"Scream 2" takes place in an unnamed town in Ohio, far away from Woodsboro, California. That's more than 2000 miles away, but the cast members of the original film are all gathered in the new location. Sidney Prescott and Randy Meeks are studying in Windsor College. The others flock to the town when the first murders take place. Some want to be close to Sidney to help her, while others, such as the reporter Gale Weathers, see it as a publicity opportunity.


Visitors of the sneak preview are given Ghostface costumes, which many immediately put on. I hope the masks were more comfortable than the one I bought. No, I'm not a serial killer. I bought a Ghostface outfit as a Halloween costume in 2014. The cloak itself was very comfortable, but the mask was so clammy that I couldn't wear it for more than five minutes at a time.


This is me threatening a young lady. She was supposed to scream, but she knew me too well to be frightened of me. I don't have it in me to be a serial killer.


Maybe the problem is just that my pink-haired friend isn't a good actress. I'm sure Neve Campbell wasn't really scared on the film set, but she convincingly expressed fear.


So did Sarah Michelle Gellar. It's a shame she was killed so early in the film. I would like to have seen more of her in the sequels.


Liev Screiber is an outstanding actor. He'd already appeared in other films, including a non-speaking cameo in "Scream", but this was his breakthrough role.

While not as important in film history as "Scream", I consider "Scream 2" to be almost as good as "Scream". I've reflected this by putting them side by side in my top films list. I've chosen not to include "Scream 3" in my list. I'll watch it again later this year to decide whether it was a mistake.

Success Rate:  + 5.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.