Sunday 16 October 2022

Meine Chaosfee und Ich (3 Stars)


This is an animated film, made in Germany, about the meeting of two young girls from different worlds. The title means "My chaos fairy and I".

Maxie is a 12-year-old girl who lives with her single mother in an idyllic country setting. She doesn't have any friends, but she has a tree. She hugs her tree every day. One day her mother announces that she's moving to a large city to be with her new boyfriend. So Maxie bids farewell to her tree and moves to the big city, where she lives with her mother's boyfriend and his two sons.

Violetta is a fairy who visits a school for tooth fairies. She fails her exams every year and has to remain in the school. She's not allowed to act as a tooth fairy, but she's certain that she can do the job as well as anyone else, so she steals a job from a qualified tooth fairy. She goes to collect a tooth from one of the boys in Maxie's new house.

One of the strict rules for tooth fairies is that they should never be seen by humans. Violetta goes into Maxie's bedroom by mistake, waking her while searching for a tooth. The two girls meet and become friends, going on adventures together.

I went to see this film in the cinema with my grandson Oliver. I often watch children's films, but something about this film didn't appeal to me. I found it neither amusing nor entertaining. But did it appeal to a six-year-old child? I kept looking sideways at Oliver, and he seemed bored. After the film I asked him what he thought, and he was evasive. That spoke for itself. When he went to the cinema in the past he was always enthusiastic afterwards. I don't know whether "Meine Chaosfee und Ich" will be released in English, but I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.