Monday 3 October 2022

VFB Stuttgart Season 2022 Match 8


Wolfsburg – VfB Stuttgart

Date: 1st October 2022, 3:30 pm

Result: 3 – 2

This game shocked me so much that I find it difficult to write about it. Wolfsburg wasn't a strong opponent, but Stuttgart was weaker. Stuttgart was on the defensive for most of the game, and the attacks that led to their two goals seemed more by chance than by skilful play. That means it's now eight games without a win.

After the match the blame game began. VfB's trainer Pellegrino Matarazzo has criticised several of the players, saying they were too passive in the match.

I spoke with one of my friends earlier today, and he suggested that I've jinxed the Stuttgart team by writing about them in my blog. He meant it as a joke, but I can't get the thought out of my head. This is the first time in my life that I've actively supported a football team, and it's falling apart. Each game makes it seem more likely that VfB will be relegated. I've made a harsh decision. I'm going to stop writing match reports as long as VfB is in 15th to 18th place. I'll just post the result each week. I'm doing that to hold my nerves together. When VfB rises to 14th place I'll start my match reports again. I'm being optimistic by saying when and not if.

1. Union Berlin 17
2. SC Freiburg 17
3. Bayern München 15
4. Borussia Dortmund 15
5. Hoffenheim 14
6. Eintracht Frankfurt 14
7. Köln 13
8. Mönchengladbach 12
9. Werder Bremen 12
10. Augsburg 12
11. RB Leipzig 11
12. Mainz 11
13. Wolfsburg 8
14. Hertha BSC 7
15. Schalke 04 6
16. VfB Stuttgart 5
17. Leverkusen 5
18. VfL Bochum 1

In my post about the second match I presented VfB's new shirts for the 2022/2023 season. I didn't realise until yesterday that the team has an alternative away shirt with red and black stripes. If you look carefully you'll see that it also has the Stuttgart landmarks printed on the shirt, but they're not as clearly visible as on the other two shirts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.