Saturday 1 July 2023

General: My Favourite Films


Yesterday I updated my top films list for the first time in six months. I shan't publish my new list in this post, because it might have changed again by the time you read this.


Not much has changed in the last six months. My top 20 is identical. The biggest changes are at the bottom of the list. It's impossible for me to stick to a list. I change my mind too often.

I've made a slight change to the format of my list. Looking at it today, I'm not happy with the way it looks, so I might change it again. Yesterday I was looking at top films lists put together by other film fans, and I became aware that they only included films made in English. In contrast, my list has 24 foreign language films. For this reason, I've added the nationality of non-English films to my list. Many readers might otherwise be confused when they see "Tag" in fourth place in my list. "Huh, what's that?" By adding the information that it's a Japanese film they know where to check it out.


The pictures I've used in this post, screenshots from "I still know what you did last summer", aren't random. I read yesterday that it will be released on a remastered 4K disc in September. That was totally unexpected. Of all the films in my list, it's the one least appreciated by the critics. It has a measly 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And yet it's getting an upgrade to 4K. Someone somewhere must love it.

The highest Rotten Tomatoes rating in my list is 100% for "Forest of Love".

Maybe I should put together a list of the films in my top 100 which are only available on DVD, not Blu-ray. Without checking, I can think of four. I shan't name them until I'm sure my list is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update of your most beloved film list mike
    And thanks for your company the other day. I'll stop lurking and start posting comments again like the good old days here.
    Have a good time with the new entries coming up this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for you kind comment, Martin. It's good to hear from you again after so long. I know we've talked elsewhere, but I'm always happy to get comments on my blog. It encourages other lurkers to leave comments.

      Did you delete your old Google account? Your old comments are no longer signed with your name, they're all labelled "Unknown".

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.