Sunday 28 August 2022

I still know what you did last summer (5 Stars)


Sometimes I despair of the critics. This film has a 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I haven't checked the rating for all the films in my top 100, but I believe that this is the lowest rating of any film in my list. I don't understand it. I consider it a brilliant film, and I'm willing to defend it to anyone who wants to sit with me and argue about it. The Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus is

"Boring, predictable, and bereft of thrills or chills, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is exactly the kind of rehash that gives horror sequels a bad name".

Ouch! If I were one of the revered critics whose reviews are used on the site, I would never associate myself with such a consensus. On the other hand, the score is 7%, not 0%, so it means that one critic in 14 gave the film a favourable review. It's not all bad.

But to go through that consensus point by point:

1) Boring? Not at all. Even after watching it many times over I still sit on the edge of my seat.

2 ) Predictable? Maybe, but who cares? A film doesn't need plot twists to be good.

3) Bereft of thrills? Come on, the film is thrilling from beginning to end.

4) Bereft of chills? Nonsense! The film becomes increasingly scary towards the end.

5) A rehash? No. Sequels have to walk a narrow line between repeating the original story and adding new elements. It's possible to go too far in one direction or the other, but "I still know what you did last summer" keeps a good balance.

My only consolation is that the film was a box office success (success rate +1.5), though not as successful as the first film (success rate + 5.4).


When I lived in England I had good friends that I was able to discuss films with. We could share our views on a semi-intellectual level. I'm missing that since moving to Germany six years ago. I have friends here, but our discussions usually only go as far as "I like it" or "I don't like it". I need to encourage more active discussions in meetings with the Stuttgart Cinema Club.

Success Rate:  + 1.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.