Sunday 14 August 2022

Smallville 1.05 - Cool



The fifth episode of Smallville is a counterpart to the third episode, "Hothead". Instead of the meteor rocks making someone hot, they make someone cold. Actually, the meteor rocks aren't explicitly mentioned in this episode. The opening scenes are at a place called Crater Lake, presumably created by the meteor shower, and when Sean Kelvin falls into the water he's bathed in a green glow.


Sean is a high school jock who's with his friends at a beach party. I wouldn't have associated Kansas with beach parties, but all teenage kids need is a large lake. Sean runs onto the ice-covered lake to retrieve a football, but the ice breaks under his feet. He falls into the water and (almost) drowns. The ice forms again above him, but he punches his way through it. After this he always feels cold. He can warm himself by sucking the warmth out of things like hot water, but the most effective was to warm himself is to absorb a person's body heat, killing the person in the process. He kills his ex-girlfriend Jenna when she steps out of the shower. Her body turns to ice and shatters when she falls on the floor.


P. S. Here's an example of product placement in "Smallville".


Clark's parents are struggling to pay their bills. Lex Luthor visits them to offer them help. He wants to become a partner in the farm, partially to make a small profit, but mostly to reward Clark for saving his life. Martha Kent is open to the offer, but Jonathan refuses Lex's help and takes out a bank loan instead. Jonathan should be more trusting. Lex has no ulterior motives, he genuinely wants to aid the Kent family.


In this episode Clark goes on his first date with Lana Lang. They both insist that it's not a date, it's just two friends hanging out, but everyone around them knows it's a date. That includes Lana's boyfriend Whitney, who's jealous as soon as he finds out about it. The date doesn't go well. Clark stands her up. Saving people is more important to him than spending a happy evening with Lana. When he sees a news report about Jenna's death he remembers that Sean has a "date" with Chloe, so he rushes to save her, leaving Lana sitting alone with a cup of coffee.


Kristin Kreuk is a guest on this episode of the Talkville podcast. She connects to the podcast by video link from her home in (I think) Toronto. She needs a better camera. The image is blurry compared to what we see of Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum.


Do you see what I mean?

Kristin only appears for 13 minutes of the 51 minute podcast. Like Tom and Michael, she can't remember everything from what she did 21 years ago, although a few random details stick in her mind. She remembers Tom forgetting his lines, which is something that Tom has forgotten. Typical!

What she remembers in more detail is that she had a stalker while she was making "Smallville". The studio had to hire extra security to protect her. No, it wasn't me. I have an alibi. I was in England when the first season of "Smallville" was being filmed. You can check my bank records if you don't believe me. On the other hand, I don't have an alibi for the day John F. Kennedy was shot. I'm still expecting Interpol to come knocking on my door.

Kristin says that she was making two television series at the same time. How did she manage that? She didn't name the other series, but it must have been "Edgemont", which ran from 2000 to 2004. I've never seen that series, but from what I've read Kristin Kreuk had a leading role, probably bigger than her role in the first season of "Smallville". In the podcast she says she was 19, but she was actually only 18 when she began her role in "Smallville". Her father used to drive her to the studio to protect her from the stalker.


"Cool" has the lowest rating on the rose'n'bomb scale so far. Tom gives the episode one rose, while Michael Rosenbaum and Ryan Tellez each give it a heater. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I refuse to rate individual episodes. If I wanted to judge "Smallville", I'd judge it as a series, not plucking individual episodes to pieces.

I was late ordering my Blu-ray box set, but I've caught up with the podcasts now. I intend to carry on watching the episode on Blu-ray followed by the podcast each week, preferably back to back on the same day. That's the way I'll get the most out of the podcast.

By the way, here's an offer to any Smallville fans who live near Stuttgart in Germany. I no longer watch my Smallville DVD set now that I have the series on Blu-ray. If you want it, I'll give it you free of charge. Leave a comment with your email (which I won't publish), and I'll send you my address so you can come round to pick it up.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.