Friday 5 August 2022

Smallville 1.03 - Hothead



The third Smallville episode develops important themes. It shows children asserting themselves against their parents. Maybe the parents mean well, especially Clark's father, but the children still want to find their own way and make their own mistakes.

Clark wants to lead a normal life as a teenager, which means playing for the school football team. His father refuses to give permission because he's afraid that Clark will accidentally use his powers in the heat of the moment. The school coach is desperate for new players, so he bypasses the need for a permission slip.

Lex Luthor's fertiliser plant's sales have dropped by 20%, so his father tells him to sack 20% of the work force. Lex defies his father and says he'll hire an extra 20% to increase production. This argument between father and son continues throughout the episode.

Lana Lang wants to give up her position on the cheerleader squad against the advice of her aunt. Both her aunt and her mother used to be cheerleaders, and they want Lana to follow in the family tradition. She decides to get a part-time job as a waitress instead.

The freak-of-the-week is the aforementioned football coach, Walt Arnold. He's been coaching the school team for 25 years. He says that Jonathan Kent was his star player, and he thinks that Clark must have inherited his skill. No, he was adopted. Coach Arnold is preparing for a big match which will be his 200th win. That doesn't seem like many wins in 25 years, or maybe he means it will be his 200th consecutive win. I'm not sure. But catastrophe strikes. Seven of the players are suspended because they cheated in a school paper. Worse still, the coach himself helped them cheat, although I don't understand how.

But what sort of freak is he? He has a private sauna, and the water is heated on meteor rocks. He inhales the fumes from the rocks. Whenever he's angry, things around him burst into flames spontaneously. He soon learns how to create flames by concentrating. He tries to kill the school principal, and then Chloe, but Clark saves both of them. A repeated theme is that Clark just happens to be close by when someone needs saving.


Once more, Tom Welling is at home, taking part in the podcast via video chat. He has special memories about this episode. He was filming it on the date of 9/11, i.e.11th September 2001. He was standing on a football field in Canada, and F16 jets were flying overhead. He was worried about Michael Rosenbaum, because he was in New York at the time. They say that everyone remembers where he was when the 9/11 attack took place. Tom might have forgotten a lot of things that took place 21 years ago, but he'll never forget the day of 9/11.

There's something that was said in last week's podcast, but I wasn't sure what to write about it until now. Michael Rosenbaum said something to the effect of, "Lots of people are jealous of Tom because of his fame in television, but we mustn't forget that Tom lost 10 years of his life". Tom agreed, and he said he wouldn't do it again. That's a subject that I'd like to discuss with Tom over a good glass of Württemberger wine, but since I don't know him personally I'll write about it here.

I understand what Michael means. Tom spent 10 years working hard, 10 months a year for more than 12 hours a day. Some days he worked all night, for instance when he filmed the scene in last week's episode when he returned Lana's necklace. My answer is that youth is a time of sacrifice; if you want to get anywhere in life, you have to work hard while others in your age are out partying. Taking myself as an example: I went to university for four years and studied hard, neglecting my social life. Films suggest that college students spend their time drinking and partying, but not me. My evenings were spent alone in the university computer lab. I reaped the benefits when I left university. I got a job where my salary was more than enough for the lifestyle I wanted to live. My bank balance grew month by month. It was a stark contrast to my parents, who always struggled to pay their bills. My sacrifices paid off.

Tom's sacrifice wasn't university, it was "Smallville". He worked hard, extremely hard, for 10 years, and in 2011 he could begin to reap the rewards. His rewards were bigger than mine, but he worked harder and longer than me, so he deserved it. He shouldn't regret giving up 10 years of his life. He should look at his life now and ask himself if he's happy. If the answer is Yes, he can tell himself that "Smallville" laid the foundation for his happiness. He's in a position in life where he can work if he wants to, not because he must. That's a luxury few people have. He can spend as much time as he wants with his wife and children. Was it worth sacrificing 10 years of his life for this? I say Yes.

Apart from this, he can look back in satisfaction at his life's work and the pleasure that it's brought countless thousands of people. "Smallville" is a series that captured America's zeitgeist, not just in 2001 but still today. Young people are still discovering "Smallville" for the first time. The Blu-ray box set for the complete series was finally released in October 2021, less than a year ago. Today everyone is raving about "Game of Thrones", but "Smallville" still has a place. I'm currently watching "Game of Thrones" and "Smallville" side by side, and I prefer "Smallville". Shout at me if you will – in the comments box below – but I stick by that statement. "Game of Thrones" might have better production quality, but "Smallville" speaks to me more on a personal level.

Getting back to the ten wasted years, let me ask Tom a question: Where would he be today if he'd never appeared in "Smallville"? It was a big breakthrough, a massive role for a young actor. Things like that don't happen twice. Without "Smallville" Tom would probably have had a series of small roles, hardly enough to pay the bills. Eventually he would have given up acting. He'd be suffering in a dead end job. He shouldn't regret "Smallville", he should be thankful that it was the miracle that saved him.


Michael Rosenbaum rates this episode half a rose (on his scale from three roses to three bombs). That's unfair. It deserves more than that. Tom Welling rated it two and a half roses, but Michael said it was too much, and Tom dropped his rating to two roses. Michael kept pushing, and Tom dropped his rating to one rose. I refuse to rate the episodes. I'll just say that I enjoyed "Hothead", and I'm glad I saw it.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.