Monday 15 August 2022

I know what you did last summer (5 Stars)


I was sad to hear that Anne Heche passed away last week as the result of a car crash. I don't write large obituaries. That's not my style. Instead, I decided to watch one of her films to remember her. At first I thought that her only film that I own is "I know what you did last summer". Then I realised that she also appears in "My Friend Dahmer" as Jeffrey Dahmer's mother. I've watched it a few times, but I never recognised her. She was also in the TV series "Ally McBeal", but I can be forgiven for not knowing that, because I didn't know her back then.

In "I know what you did last summer" she plays Missy Egan, the brother of David Egan, the first victim (off-screen) of the serial killer Ben Willis. He's the first victim in this film, anyway. In the sequel we find out about earlier killings.


Anne has a small but memorable role. Her parents were dead, so she lived alone with her teenage brother. After his death (which she wrongly thought was suicide) her life fell apart. She's an eccentric recluse, possibly suffering from depression and other mental health issues. Anne plays the part perfectly. In my previous reviews of the film I never published any photos of Anne, preferring to show the more glamorous actresses, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitt. That might sound shallow on my part, but it's the role Anne Heche was playing. Today I noticed for the first time the details of the scene where Sarah and Jennifer visit Anne's home. Sarah and Jennifer are standing in the light, while Anne is in the half-shadows. This is a deliberate attempt by the director to emphasise Anne's plainness. I mean the plainness of Anne's character Missy.

Farewell to a magnificent actress. She died too young.

Anne Heche
25 May 1969 – 12 August 2022

Success Rate:  + 5.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.