Monday 29 August 2022

Beast (3½ Stars)


Idris Elba plays Dr. Nate Samuels, a man trying to reconnect with his teenage daughters. A year earlier he and his wife separated, but shortly afterwards she developed cancer and died. Nate's daughters are bitter with him for not being at his wife's side in her final months. Now he's taking them to South Africa to visit the village where she was born.

Nate and his friend Martin (played by Sharlto Copley) visit a wild life reserve. What they don't know is that poachers stole lion cubs the previous day. As a result a lion has gone wild and is killing every human he can find, men, women and children. After a surprise attack by the lion, Martin is stranded and Nate crashes his jeep. They have to fight for survival while being hunted by the lion.

This is a terrifying story, realistically told. At several points in the film I jumped in my seat when the lion attacked. But somehow I had the impression Idris Elba wasn't getting into his role. He's one of my favourite actors, but in "Beast" his performance seems flat. The emotional background to the story could have been played better. In contrast, Sharlto Copley's performance was excellent. Overall, the film was disappointing. It didn't live up to my expectations.

I'm planning to see another new film with Idris Elba later this week. Maybe you can guess what it is. I hope it's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.