Saturday 14 October 2023

Cars (3 Stars)



After watching "Planes" a few weeks ago, my grandson Oliver said he wanted to watch "Cars". Have any of my regular readers noticed that I've added his name as a label to all the films he's watched with me? It helps me keep track of his viewing history, although he's started watching films with other family members.

"Cars" is an animated film made by Pixar Studios for Walt Disney in 2006. It takes place in a world populated by intelligent speaking cars. It's about a newbie racing car called Lightning McQueen who wants to win the prestigious Piston Cup. The first race is a three-way draw with the reigning champion Strip Weathers and the arrogant Chick Hicks. A second race is scheduled in Los Angeles a week later. On the journey Lightning falls out of his transport truck. He races towards California, but he's stopped for speeding and has to do community service in the small town of Radiator Springs. It lies on Route 66 and used to be a busy community, but now that Interstate 40 has been built it's practically a ghost town. The residents roll around complaining about the good old days. Lightning was always a loner, but he begins to make friends with the cars in Radiator Springs.

I have mixed feelings about the film. The story is interesting, but I'm put off by the constant fast, hectic dialogue. Apart from that, the concept of talking cars doesn't appeal to me. Oliver liked the film a lot, so maybe I should try to see it more from a child's perspective.

There are several well known actors who provide the voice for the cars, including Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen. Why? I don't see the point in hiring successful Hollywood actors for voice roles. It must make the film more expensive. For me as a viewer it just makes me scratch my head when I hear a voice. "Is that <fill-in-the blank>? It sounds like him". I'm sure there are lesser known voice actors who can do just as good a job.

Success Rate:  + 1.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.