Friday 17 June 2022

Everything everywhere all at once (5 Stars)


A film about rocks? Not quite. This is the film poster for "Everything everywhere all at once" in an alternate universe. Take my word for it.

I saw this film in the cinema last week, but it's worth seeing again. Last week I saw it dubbed into German, but this week it was shown in its original version, a mixture of Chinese and English. My son Benjamin is visiting me for the weekend, and he wanted to visit a cinema with me to see a film in English. The cinemas he usually visits in Schwäbisch Hall only show films in German. He's missing out.

I'm happy to say that Benjamin enjoyed the film as much as me. He also thinks it's the best film of the year so far.

You must have noticed that I'm writing less posts at the moment. That's because I'm taking time off films to watch "Game Of Thrones". It's the first series that I've bought on 4K discs. For now I just have a few thoughts.

I found the first episode disappointing. It seemed badly directed. So many characters are introduced in a short time, and we know so little of their back story. I didn't know their relationship to one another, and I could hardly remember their names. If I'd seen this one episode on television I wouldn't have bothered to watch the second episode. Compare it with "Vikings", a similar series. "Vikings" also has a lot of characters at war with one another, but the series starts off slowly. In the first episode we see less characters, and there's a slow build up as the first season continues. In the case of "Game Of Thrones" I needed at least three episodes to get a feeling for the characters. After eight episodes I can say that I like the series, but it took me a while to warm up to it.

Benjamin says that it's the best series he's ever seen. He compares it with computer games that he's played recently. Maybe that's the reason for its popularity. It appeals to people who play fantasy games. I'm not a gamer, so it doesn't attract me as much. I prefer "Vikings", but I'll continue watching "Game Of Thrones" over the next few weeks. I've been watching "Vikings" on and off and stopped at the end of the third season, but I'll continue later this year. For years I've given priority to watching films, but I've recently decided to catch up on the television series that I've been neglecting for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.