Wednesday 8 June 2022

Everything everywhere all at once (5 Stars)


I'm so glad that I managed to see this film. It only ran for two weeks at my local cinema, and this is the second week. I could have watched it in English on Monday, but it was running at the same time as "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness". In retrospect, I picked the wrong film. The Doctor Strange film was a mess, but "Everything Everywhere" (I'll shorten the title) is a brilliant film, proving that it's possible to make a good film about the multiverse. Yes, it's chaotic, but it's brilliant. I could still appreciate it dubbed into German.

Evelyn Wang is a Chinese immigrant in America who runs a laundromat. Her business makes money, but she can't keep up with the paperwork. She has bills and receipts scattered across tables in her private apartment above the laundromat. It's a major crisis when the tax office does an audit of her business.

This disorganised woman is told that there are multiple parallel universes and she's been chosen to fight a monster which wants to destroy all of reality. "Why me?" is the obvious question. We soon find out the answer. She has abilities which she knew nothing about. After a little practise, she's able to experience her life in every universe simultaneously. The constant cuts from from universe to another are confusing for the viewer, but they make sense.

In my opinion, this is the best film of the year so far. I can hardly wait to watch it again on Blu-ray. In English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.