Thursday 2 June 2022

Hospital Aftermath Day 30


I promised to keep my readers updated on my health, and I'll continue to do so until I consider myself fully recovered. When I left hospital the doctor told me that I'd need about two weeks to recover, but it's obviously taking longer.

First of all, let me express my disappointment with the hospital. Nine days ago I spoke with a doctor on the phone, and I was told that my house doctor, Dr. Kriel, would receive a letter with the test results of my bronchoscopy on 3rd May. I spoke with Dr. Kriel yesterday, and she still hasn't received the letter.

I've been practising walking for the last three weeks. I started by walking to the post office (120 meters away), and I've been gradually increasing the distance. Yesterday was a successful day for me. I walked to my village's supermarket and back for the first time. It's 900 meters away, just over half a mile, so I managed more than a mile. Admittedly, I was getting slower and slower on the way home, but I did it. I feel really proud of myself.

As a result of yesterday's success, I've decided to go to the cinema today. Most of the journey is by bus and train, but the accompanying walking distance is only 550 meters, so I should easily manage it. One of the worst things about being ill was not being able to go to the cinema. I missed "Morbius", and the brilliant Swabian comedy "Die Kirche bleibt im Dorf" returned to the cinema for its tenth anniversary last week. One week only. I'll have to watch it on Blu-ray again to make up, but watching films on the big screen is always better. Today I plan to watch two films back to back: "The Lost City" and "Operation Mincemeat". I can hardly wait.

My eating habits are still broken. I'm still eating vegetables for lunch with a small portion of meat on the side. The vegetables aren't always boiled, sometimes they're in broth, but it's my main food. Two days ago I tried to eat a TUC cracker. My readers in England know what they are. Usually I love TUC, they're my favourite biscuits, but I had to spit it out. I just don't like them any more.

I'm drinking coffee now, but only in the morning when I wake up. A few days ago I had a coffee in the afternoon, but I felt sick afterwards. One coffee a day is enough for me. I drink more alcohol now than I did before I was sick. I used to drink one or two glasses of wine a week, sometimes less. Now I drink a glass of wine every night before bed. It tastes good, and it helps me sleep.

I'll let you know when my doctor gets the letter. Otherwise I'll write again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.