Monday 23 March 2020

The History of Love (4 Stars)


I watched this film two months ago. Click here for my summary of the plot. Actually, I got one small detail of the plot wrong, so I may go back and correct it later. Bruno didn't marry Alma, even though he referred to her as his wife. What I wrote actually makes more sense than what happened in the film.

It's a deeply emotional film. Watching it today I tried to understand the film's message. Leo Gursky lost one Alma and found another Alma 65 years later? That can hardly be the intention, because he's old enough to be the second Alma's great-grandfather. I'm also certain that the religious mania of Alma's younger brother isn't just inserted randomly, it must have some relevance to the film's meaning.

I have the feeling that I need to read the book on which the film is based. It might be explicit about things that the film only hints.


Can anyone read Leo's handwriting? He's a Polish Jew, but what language is it? In the scenes where he's writing letters we can see that it's a language written from right to left. Is it Yiddish? It looks nothing like Hebrew.

Success Rate:  - 43.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.