Wednesday 25 March 2020

Wine: Stromberg Zabergäu Kerner

This is a bottle of wine I picked up while shopping in a nearby town. Kerner is a popular type of wine in Württemberg. I've heard it called a "poor man's Riesling", but that's unfair. It's a good wine in its own right.

Nevertheless, Kerner has its origin in Riesling. It was created in 1929 in Lauffen, Württemberg, as a cross between Riesling and Trollinger. It wasn't until 40 years later that it was recognised as a unique wine. In its early years it was grown almost exclusively in Württemberg, but now it's been exported to other areas of Germany, as well as Austria, Switzerland and even Japan.

Maybe I can understand the criticism. It's not a typical Württemberg wine. What I mean is, it has a milder taste than Riesling. I wouldn't call it sweet, but it goes in that direction. It's more similar to the wines grown in central Germany.

"Powerful, fresh, an intense aroma with a delicate bouquet of nutmeg. It conjures up impressions of mango, grapefruit and cool aromas like mint and melon".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.