Sunday 8 March 2020

The Three Servants


The Parable of the Three Servants

(loosely adapted from Matthew 25:14-30)

An old king was about to leave on a journey. He called his three most trusted servants and gave each a hundred pieces of gold. A year later he returned and asked what they had done with his money.

The first servant was a tall, strong man. He said, "While you were gone I bought a farm. I bred livestock, and I ploughed the fields. Every night I was so exhausted that I slept until morning. Here is your money with interest", and he gave the king 200 pieces of gold.

The king replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant. I grant you your freedom, and a reward of 50 pieces of gold".

The second servant was a small but wise man. He said, "While you were gone I worked in the marketplace, buying and selling exotic clothes and spices. Every night I lay awake, unable to sleep, worrying what the next day would bring. Here is your money with interest", and he gave the king 500 pieces of gold.

The king replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant. I grant you your freedom, and a reward of 200 pieces of gold".

The third servant was a young, beautiful girl, barely 18 years old. She said, "While you were gone I went out partying with my friends every night. Older men were fascinated by my beauty and gave me money to sit with them. I went to bed very late every night and slept until the afternoon. Here is your money with interest", and she gave the king 1000 pieces of gold.

The king looked upon her with pleasure and replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant. I grant you your freedom, and a reward of 500 pieces of gold. I am an old man, with no children. When I die I shall make you the ruler of my land".

The second servant was filled with rage and spoke, "King, it is not fair that the girl should be rewarded. She was lazy and slept all day while we were working hard to make money for you".

The king replied, "You wicked, ungrateful servant. The girl has proved herself more talented than either of you. Your reward shall be given to the girl. You will be stripped naked and imprisoned in my dungeon for the rest of your life. Those who have much will be given more. Those who have little will lose even what they have".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.