Monday 9 March 2020

Snatch (5 Stars)


"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity".

As I've often said in the past, I find it easier to write about films I don't like than films I like. In that case, this should be an extremely difficult film to write about, because it's one of my favourite films. I was inspired to rewatch it after seeing "The Gentlemen" last week. Both films have in common that they're complex, interwoven stories in which so much happens that you're confused after the first viewing. Well, maybe confused isn't the right word. Neither film is difficult to understand. It's more accurate to say that both films are so overloaded with details that it's difficult to remember everything that happens. If I wanted to write a complete summary of the plots I'd have to watch the films a few times.

Don't worry. I don't intend to do it. There might just be one person reading this review who's never seen the film, and I don't want to spoil it for you. This is a masterpiece, even better than "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels", which Guy Ritchie made two years previously.

Guy Ritchie's first film was about shotguns, but "Snatch" is about a diamond. It's a big diamond, and it's said to be 86 carats. I'm no jewellery expert, I don't know what that means, but it sounds good.

But "Snatch" is about lots of other things. There are gypsies, boxing matches and a dog. And even guns, although they aren't as important as in the previous film.


There are also twins in the film, played by the real life twins Teena and Nicola Collins. I'm sorry, I don't know which is which. They've only appeared in three films, always together.


How is ex-footballer Vinnie Jones able to sit between them so calmly? I'd get whiplash, constantly looking from one side to the other.


I don't know if he'd agree with me, but I consider this to be Brad Pitt's best film. He talks with a crazy accent. I don't know if it's a genuine Pikey accent, but it's amusing. I've watched the film a few times, but today is the first time I noticed that my Blu-ray has a subtitle track solely for Brad Pitt's dialogue, for nobody else. I wish I'd known about it before. There are a few lines that I never understood.


"Snatch" is a British gangster film and a comedy. On the other hand, aren't all British gangster films comedies? If you're used to watching traditional American gangster films, it's difficult to take the British equivalent seriously. It's a million miles distant from "The Godfather".

As you can see, I've written hardly anything significant about this brilliant film. However, if my enthusiasm encourages you to watch it for yourself, it's worth it.

Success Rate:  + 6.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.