Thursday 26 March 2020

Wine: Stromberg Zabergäu Riesling

When I bought my bottle of Stromberg Zabergäu Kerner last week, I also bought a bottle of Riesling from the same vineyard. I thought it would be a good idea to drink the two wines back to back for the sake of comparison.

I have no wish to insult the Kerner, which is doubtlessly a good wine, but I prefer the Riesling. The Riesling is less fruity than the Kerner, but overall it has a better balanced taste. It has the dry taste that I'm used to from Württemberg wines. If you only know Riesling from other areas, I have to emphasise that it's not what you're used to. The Riesling wines grown in Württemberg are dryer, and in my opinion tastier than Riesling grown anywhere else.

"The wine is elegant and has an aroma of apples, peaches and roses. A flowery, fruity Riesling with medium acidity".

That's a completely different description to the Eberbach-Schäfer Riesling. I sometimes ask myself if the experts invent their descriptions as they're going along. I'm no expert, I just know what tastes good and what doesn't.

It's possible that I prefer this Riesling to the Eberbach-Schäfer wine. I need to drink the two back to back to compare them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.