Friday 12 February 2021

Wine: Fellbacher Goldberg Dornfelder

Last week I promised to try a Württemberg Dornfelder in order to compare it with the Acolon wine, which is supposedly a new grape created by crossing Lemberger and Dornfelder grapes. In the supermarket I found a bottle of wine sold by the Fellbacher group of vineyards. This is a highly respected Weingenossenschaft (wine cooperative) that closely monitors the wine produced by its members.

Not wanting to rush into the tasting, I decanted the wine for three hours before pouring it. It's a heavy wine, which is untypical for Württemberg wines. The grapes more commonly grown in Württemberg (Lemberger, Trollinger, Schwarzriesling and even Spätburgunder) are all lighter wines. It wasn't until the second sip that I noticed how fruity the taste is. I found the taste pleasant, although I need to get used to it.

The Fellbacher website recommends that this Dornfelder should be drunk to accompany cheese. That sent me running to my fridge, but alas, I don't have any cheese at the moment. The best I could do was eat the remainder of a rice dish that I had left over from lunchtime. This slightly improved the taste of the wine, but for me this isn't so relevant. When I was younger I often drank wine with a meal, but today I drink wine by itself for enjoyment.

After drinking the Dornfelder, I returned to my bottle of Acolon, which I haven't sampled since last week. I can taste the similarity. The Acolon has the fruitiness of Dornfelder, but the lightness of Lemberger. Since last week I've been reading reviews of Acolon wine. Many wine critics are calling it the wine of the future. I'm not so sure. I still prefer a good glass of Trollinger. On the other hand, it's not just about the grape, it's about the land and the treatment. Acolon grapes grown in other vineyards may produce a significantly different taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.