Monday 15 February 2021

Monster (5 Stars)



This is the true story of Aileen Wuornos, a notorious woman who killed seven men from 1989 to 1990. Charlize Theron rightfully won the Academy Award as best actress for her role in the film. In my opinion, Patty Jenkins should have been recognised as best director, but this was the year that "Lord of the Rings" received most of the awards, including the best director award for Peter Jackson. That was a mistake, but in the history of the Academy Awards there have been many mistakes.

Aileen Wuornos was a serial killer. She was a monster, and yet when watching the film it's difficult not to feel some sympathy for her. She was a prostitute, but she was disgusted by the men she slept with. I understand that. What sort of man hires a prostitute when he has a wife at home? Some feminists would argue that the men deserved to die.

This is the biggest mistake in my top 100 list so far. It should be much higher in the list, possibly in the top 20. Sigh.....


This is one of the first films I bought on DVD when it was still relatively new. I rebought it on Blu-ray in 2017, and I was disappointed. It was the worst quality Blu-ray I've ever bought. The picture is slightly better than the DVD, but there's a single pixel in the upper right corner which is white throughout the film, making it look like there's a hole in the picture. Today I felt tempted to watch the DVD instead of the Blu-ray. I'm glad I didn't.

Last November I bought a Sony UBP-X700 Blu-ray player, my first Blu-ray player that offers upscaling to 4K resolution. To my great amazement, the hole is no longer visible. The upscaling algorithm has removed the hole by interpolating the surrounding pixels. This is amazing. If I hadn't had a standard Blu-ray player until now I wouldn't even have known about the hole in the picture. My praises to Sony.

Success Rate:  + 6.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.