Monday 11 October 2021

Raw (3 Stars)


This film is the first selection in a new monthly film series called Cinema Futuro. It claims to present films that represent the future of cinema. I don't think that's a realistic description of this film. Classy artistic films aren't the future of cinema. The future of cinema is made up of action films with explosions and car chases. That will always be what the majority of film fans want to see. The approximately 50 people in the room today aren't typical film fans. They're freaks like me who want to see something different.


In the introduction it was also said that the Cinema Futuro films will concentrate on films directed by women. Not exclusively, but that's where the emphasis will lie. No problem. I'm opposed to any sort of quotas of giving female directors equal selections to male directors. For me it's all about quality. All of my favourite directors are men. That's not because I'm sexist, it's because these men make better films than any women I know.

In case you didn't know, my favourite directors are Sion Sono, Alex de la Iglesia, Zhang Yimou and Quentin Tarantino. In that order.

When I watched "Raw" at the Fantasy Film Festival four years ago I said it was visually too disgusting for me. Seeing it again today, I don't understand why I wrote that. It must have been because of my mood at the time. There's a certain amount of gore, but nothing too excessive.

The film is about Justine, a young girl in her first year at a veterinary school. As one of the initiation rituals she's required to eat a raw rabbit kidney. She doesn't want to do it, because she's been a vegetarian all her life, but her sister Alexia, a second year student, tells her that she'll be an outsider if she doesn't do it.

This brings about changes in Justine. She begins to crave raw meat. Worse still, she gets a taste for human flesh. Strangely, Alexia doesn't disapprove. The sisters become close friends, closer than they've been for years.

Despite the violence, this isn't a horror film. It's an unusual coming of age drama. It's directed by Julia Ducournau, a French director who has only made two full length feature films until now. Both feature women in the lead roles. "Raw" has received great critical acclaim, including a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I feel almost ashamed that my rating is so low. It's a good film, but it doesn't excite me. Maybe I'd like it more if it had explosions and car chases.

Success Rate:  - 1.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.