Wednesday 15 April 2020

TV Series: Tokyo Vampire Hotel


I keep on saying that I'm going to catch up on all the TV series that I want to watch, but I don't get around to it. Yesterday I decided to turn over a new leaf. I watched the last few episodes of "Gotham" Season 4. Then I watched an episode of "Supergirl" Season 2. That was enough for the day, and I spent the rest of the evening with James Bond. I can't give up films altogether, can I?

This morning I had some free time on my hands, so I thought I'd continue with "Supergirl". But when I sat down I couldn't resist the temptation to start "Tokyo Vampire Hotel" again, even though I watched it last year. Or was it two years ago? I've forgotten, because I didn't write anything about it in my blog. I keep better track of my films.

"Tokyo Vampire Hotel" is brilliant. Maybe I shouldn't think of it as a TV series. It has the form of a nine-part mini-series, but the episodes are of different lengths, so it can be thought of as a six-hour film split into episodes. It's strange seeing Elizabeth Bathory played by a Japanese actress, but it's not lazy casting, it's a deliberate decision. In Sion Sono's vampire mythology there's a connection between Romania and Japan, literally. There are mystical tunnels below the Earth that allow vampires to travel from Romania to Tokyo within minutes.


One minor criticism I have of the series is that there are too many characters, or to put it more precisely, too many important characters. It's difficult to remember who's who, especially because many of the characters aren't even named in the dialogue. After watching the first three episodes again this morning I can figure it out better. Maybe I need to watch the series a third time.


This cute little girl has half of episode 2 dedicated to her. Then she dies.

Should I write more about the TV series I watch, on the rare occasions that I actually watch them? I still haven't reached a final decision, but here are some photos from the series that I watched yesterday.


This is Gotham's Not-Joker, Jeremiah Valesquez. For copyright reasons, the series wasn't allowed to use the Joker's name, but they still included a character who has all the traits of a young Joker.


I can't explain why, but I like Supergirl most when she doesn't look super. That's out of character for me. Usually I like strong girls, but this is an exception. The actress Melissa Benoist has such a cute girl-next-door look in the civilian clothes that I just want to hug her. I can dream, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.