Wednesday 8 April 2020

Klaus Schulze: Virtual Outback (2002)


Klaus Schulze - Virtual Outback

KS Canon 91

Track Listing:

1.The Rhodes Elegy 65:00

Bonus Track:

2. Chinese Ears 14:53

Notes:
(1) Wolfgang Tiepold plays cello.
(2) Tobias Becker plays oboe and English horn.
(3) Thomas Kagermann plays flute and violin and sings vocals.
(4) Julia Messenger sings vocals.
(5) Audrey Motaung sings vocals.
(6) Mickes plays guitar.

Rating: 3 Stars
Bonus Tracks: 4 Stars

This is the 42nd solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. It was originally released as the first album of the "Contemporary Works 2" box set.

It's the last album that KDM gave an official number. Originally I intended to continue from 92 onwards, guessing how KDM would have ordered the following albums, but I've now decided against it. It would have been pure speculation. KDM probably decided not to continue with the numbering because he realised that it was already a mess. From now on I'll just give the release number, from 43 onwards.

I've hardly listened to this album since I bought it ten years ago. In fact, I could hardly remember it. After listening to it again today, I understand why it's been gathering dust on my shelf. It's just not exciting. Most of the album is laid back and relaxed, but it's too laid back. The music isn't going anywhere. Even when the rhythm kicks in half way through, the music doesn't grip me.

The bonus track is the original version of a song with the same name that appears on the bonus CD given away with the first 333 orders of "Contemporary Works 2". My main criticism of "Chinese Ears" is that it's too short. In the first half there are a few good ideas, but the music changes from one theme to the next before it's fully developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.