Tuesday 7 April 2020

Klaus Schulze: Live @ Klangart 2 (2001)


Klaus Schulze - Live @ Klangart 2

KS Canon 90 (b)

Track Listing:

1.La Fugue Sequenca 21:59
2. Cavalleria Cellisticana 21:51
3. Tracks of Desire 09:13
4. Last Move at Osnabrück 13:36

Bonus Track:

5. OS 9.07 12:23

Notes: Wolfgang Tiepold plays cello on the tracks 2 and 3.

Rating: 5 Stars
Bonus Tracks: 4½ Stars

This is the 41st solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. Read my review of "Live @ Klangart 1" to see what I wrote about KDM's "official" numbering of Klaus Schulze's albums breaking down.

The album was recorded live at the Klangart Festival in Osnabrück on 9th June 2001. In the liner notes Klaus emphasises that the live recording is unedited. This might seem self-evident to my readers, but in the case of Klaus Schulze's music it's a significant statement. It has been common for his live concerts to be edited for release, usually to correct minor faults, but in the extreme case of "The Wagner Desaster" a total remix. This controversial procedure has been defended by KDM more than once. If I remember correctly, his argumentation is along the lines, "I don't want to produce a piece of nostalgia for those who were at the concert, I want to create a perfect album for everyone".

The bonus track was recorded in the studio in 2007 specifically for inclusion on the "Live @ Klangart" double album. I have mixed feelings about it. Musically it's brilliant, but the (sampled?) vocals are annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.