Monday 6 April 2020

Klaus Schulze: Live @ Klangart 1 (2001)


Klaus Schulze - Live @ Klangart 1

KS Canon 90

Track Listing:

1.Breeze To Sequence 15:08
2. Loops To Groove 12:58
3. From Church To Search 14:06
4. I Loop You Schwindelig 27:59

Bonus Track:

5. Short Romance 05:44

Notes: Wolfgang Tiepold plays cello on the bonus track.

Rating:  4½ Stars
Bonus Tracks: 5 Stars

This is the 40th solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. It was recorded live in Osnabrück on 9th June 2001, with the exception of "I Loop You Schwindelig", which is a studio track recorded soon after the concert.

This is the point where KDM's numbering of the CDs finally breaks down. I treat his numbers as canon, because he's the publisher and knows best, but he's tied himself in knots by using the numbers for the individual albums of limited edition box sets. Here we have a different problem.

Live @ Klangart 1 and Live @ Klangart 2 were two albums released on the same day, like Royal Festival Hall Volume 1 and Royal Festival Hall Volume 2. That's not something that I like as a fan with limited financial resources, but it happened. In the case of the Royal Festival Hall albums, they were numbered separately, 24 and 25. In the case of the Klangart albums, they were rereleased in 2008 as a double album, and this album has been given the single number 90.

When I get to the end of KDM's numbering – it ends at 91 – I'll go on and use my own numbering, which I hope will be more consistent. If KDM is reading my posts he can make his own suggestions. I defer to him. His decision is final.

I give the live tracks on the album an unconditional five star rating, but the overall rating is dragged down by "I Loop You Schwindelig", which isn't up to the same quality.

The bonus track is arguably out of character for the album, but it's a beautiful little song that I can listen to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.